Dr. David Kaplan (December 12, 1923 – April 6, 2015) was a composer, administrator, conductor, clarinetist. In 1960 he was offered a position teaching music within the College of Education at the University of Saskatchewan, and became a driving force behind the creation of an independent Department of Music in 1964. He was the head of th Department of Music for nearly 20 years. Dr. Kaplan was devoted to teaching, and continued to serve as a professor emeritus and sessional lecturer long after his retirement in 1991.
Collections and holdings related to Dr. Kaplan's life and work:
Held in the Education Building at the University of Saskatchewan. Dr. Kaplan was an avid collector of musical instruments and donated his personal collection of almost 400 instruments to the University of Saskatchewan in early 2013.
This fond documents the life and career of David Kaplan. It contains material related to his family, academic and teaching career and community involvement. These fonds are held at the University Archives & Special Collections at the University of Saskatchewan